Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Color Studies of Mars

Recently, I've been working on illustrations involving different space phenomena and Mars. I had a ton of fun determining the colors for my quaint little Mars scene. The final will be displayed at huge public party for the Mars Curiosity landing. Here's the event info!

By the way, the Curiosity rover should land on Gale Crater, August 5th at 10:31 pm PST.

First, I created some thumbnails. Then, started layering colors to reflect the unique properties of Mars. The atmosphere is dusty and... composed of very different layers and chemicals than Earth's. So, there is no blue sky on Mars. Actually, Joe pointed out that our sky would look similar during widespread wildfires.  

Based on this color study, I decided to add a couple new paints to my palette. Specifically, I love Sicklerite Genuine. It's the warm, grainy brown. Perfect for the dusty skies above Mars! (I used my Daniel Smith watercolor sampler sheets. This lets you try each of their 238 colors.)
   




No comments:

Post a Comment