Saturday, July 2, 2011

Desert Travel Journal

Every winter and spring, I try to spend time in the desert.  Here in Southern California.  There's the Mojave and Sonoran deserts.  This year I spent a week in Death Valley.

While this was not a spectacular year for wildflowers, I did visit new places like Ash Meadows Wildlife Refuge (home of the DV and Devil's Hole Pupfish), the uplifted dry lake beds around Zabriskie Point, and Surprise Canyon. One of the highlights of the trip was amargosa toad hunting with one of my illustration heroes, Laura Cunningham, in Beatty, NV.

I've been working on a travel journal and sketches from the trip since I got back in April.  Here are some images I just put the finishing touches on.



These are rocks and artifacts from the abandoned mining community of Panamint City. It includes various volcanic rocks, iron ore and equipment parts. 


This page shows my partner botanizing (searching for botanical wonders) and photographing a rare, Death Valley endemic called Gold-carpet Gilmania. Note that these plants are often referred to as "belly plants," because you have to be lying on your belly to see them.

My final desert inspired piece of the spring was prompted by a run in with a couple burros as we hiked Surprise Canyon. Its a collection of mammals that live through the extremes of the desert- specifically, they are all active during the day. I considered including a coyote and mountain lion, but decided otherwise. I still need to add more contrast to the ground... but that will have to wait.


Well, I've caught up with my spring desert musings.... Next chapter, I move back to Los Angeles and start working with the Citizen Science programs at the Natural History Museum of LA County.

More on that later. Thanks for reading and keeping in touch.




No comments:

Post a Comment