Friday, January 13, 2012

The Corpse Flower

Hello and Happy New Year! I've been neglecting my posting duties. It's not for a lack of things to show, either! I want to introduce you to an amazing plant I had the privilege of illustrating at the Huntington Botanic Gardens.







The Amorphophallus titanum or the titan arum or the corpse flower is the largest known inflorescence on Earth. These plants are usually tree-like plants, but on a rare occasion its tuber sends up a massive "flower." During the short bloom (~2 weeks), the red female flowers accept pollen for one day.


After all is said and done, the pollinated female flowers develop into luscious fruits as the rest of the flower parts fall off! That's the story folks! This is one amazing plant. I should also mention that sweat bees and carrion flies transport the pollen from one bloom to another. And, gees, the inflorescence and flowers allegedly smell like death. But, thankfully, they didn't ask me to illustrate that. Thanks for reading and keeping in touch. 

Ps. This is what you typically find in botanic gardens or in the forests of Sumatra:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment