Monday, January 23, 2012

Where the wildflowers roam...

This spring, I've been invited to display paintings of wildflowers and the desert... at a couple different shows.


Inspired by the light, rocks and flowers, I'm trying some new techniques. The results I'll post here in my blog. My first experiment is Broad-leafed Gilia growing on granite from Anza-Borego NP. In this sketch, I was interested in the light on the leaves and the succulent magenta flower. I used watercolor, touches of gouache and colored pencil. Overall, I like the leaf colors, but I'd like to push the surface of the granitic soil and keep saturating the plant colors...

Ps. Only the earliest wildflowers can be seen right now in the Southern California deserts- the southern part of Joshua Tree NP and along the Palms to Pines Highway. Chuparosa, desert lavender, desert mallow and smattering of belly flowers are in bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment